Maestro Peter Jaffe welcomes your
school to the Stockton Symphony!
What is Steppin' Out?
Steppin' Out is the Stockton Symphony's annual bus-in education concert series, targeted mainly for 4th and 5th grade students. This year marks the 19th anniversary of Steppin' Out. What began as a single concert 18 years ago has expanded to a 3-day series of back-to-back concerts, reaching over 6,000 students in San Joaquin County every year.
Why should I bring my classes?
- Classical Music Exposure: A Steppin' Out education concert is often the first orchestral concert that a child in San Joaquin County will attend. Recent survey results revealed that 85% of students who attended Steppin' Out had never heard a live orchestra before.
- Inspiration to Begin Music Studies: Steppin' Out concerts are designed for students at that critical age when many will choose whether or not to learn an instrument in school. Of the students surveyed who did not already play an instrument, 62% said the concert inspired them to learn one.
- Providing a well-rounded Education: The benefits of involvement in music are well documented, and according to a 2003 Gallup survey, 95% of Americans believe that music is a key component of a well-rounded education. Steppin' Out is the Stockton Symphony's way of inspiring more young people to make music a part of their lives.
What kind of music will we hear?
- Patriotic Song: Steppin' Out concerts include a patriotic song at the beginning of the concert featuring students of San Joaquin schools as soloists.
- Traditional Orchestra Music: Steppin' Out includes traditional orchestral music but in more manageable, kid-friendly lengths.
- Special Feature: TBA
Last Years Program
Click the title to hear a recording of the piece
Original song compositions by Stockton and Lodi Elementary school students.
4. Please Don't Try to Remind Me (Vinewood students)
5. What's Up With That (Vinewood students)
6. Another Country Love Song (Harmony Stockton students)
7. End of the Rainbow (Harmony Stockton students)