Maestro Peter Jaffe welcomes your
school to the Stockton Symphony!
What is Steppin' Out?
Steppin' Out is the Stockton Symphony's annual bus-in education concert series, targeted mainly for 4th and 5th grade students. This year marks the 18th anniversary of Steppin' Out. What began as a single concert 17 years ago has expanded to a 3-day series of back-to-back concerts, reaching over 6,000 students in San Joaquin County every year.
Why should I bring my classes?
- Classical Music Exposure: A Steppin' Out education concert is often the first orchestral concert that a child in San Joaquin County will attend. Recent survey results revealed that 85% of students who attended Steppin' Out had never heard a live orchestra before.
- Inspiration to Begin Music Studies: Steppin' Out concerts are designed for students at that critical age when many will choose whether or not to learn an instrument in school. Of the students surveyed who did not already play an instrument, 62% said the concert inspired them to learn one.
- Providing a well-rounded Education: The benefits of involvement in music are well documented, and according to a 2003 Gallup survey, 95% of Americans believe that music is a key component of a well-rounded education. Steppin' Out is the Stockton Symphony's way of inspiring more young people to make music a part of their lives.
What kind of music will we hear?
- Patriotic Song: Steppin' Out concerts include a patriotic song at the beginning of the concert featuring students of San Joaquin schools as soloists.
- Traditional Orchestra Music: Steppin' Out includes traditional orchestral music but in more manageable, kid-friendly lengths.
- Special Feature: This year's program will feature songs written by students from San Joaquin County. The Stockton Symphony will play professional arrangements of these student compositions, and the student composers will sing in the concert as well.